15.9.10

My Influence Map

This is a good idea. A helpful thing to stick up on your wall where you work. Everybody’s doing it (including friends and people that i admire), and i’m not dissing anyone it’s just i don’t understand it. When you start swapping them with others and posting them on the internet does’nt it just become a tool by which you can define yourself as an individual? Demonstrating how cool you are by associating yourself with other cool things. (what the internet was made for!)
Like those end of year book lists, where if i was writing one i’d do the same- a few books i like, a few i have to mention, something retro, something i’m not mad about but everyone is talking about and then something that nobody is talking about- just to be different. I reckon i’d do that- shit aye? It must come natural to 21st century humans- that’s why the internet loves lists- and personal ones with pictures too? that’s got to be the best ever- well maybe second best, i’m not sure- i’ll write my favourites down and keep you posted!

4 comments:

Craig Collins said...

Ha! A heady jolt of mockery for this somewhat dubious business...

I need more 'gritty shit' in my diet of influence. Great stuff Hurk!

ScottJasonSmith said...

I think I covered all of those.

Kevin said...

Haha! Once I heard the writer George Saunders get asked about his influences and he says, do you want the ones I want to be influenced by or the ones that actually shaped my work? I guess it ends up being more of a wish list in the end.

Hurk said...

I was a bit tempted to do a proper one but i stopped myself(could'nt be bothered) and did this instead.
I laughed at this strip by Bob Byrne: http://clamnuts.com/spazz/comics/05212010/
and at the same time i've got tattoos which might be the best/worst example of that sort of thing!?